Pre-Authorization Holds & Releases
- Most commonly occur due to swiping a card at a gas pump or use at a tipping establishment (restaurant, hair salon, etc.). See additional information on Gas Station and Tipping Establishment purchases
- Gas stations will generally request a pre-authorization of $200 if the card is swiped at the pump.
- Tipping establishments will generally request a pre-authorization for 20% GREATER than the ANTICIPATED bill.
- Purchase attempt are declined when the merchant requests an authorization in an amount greater than the available card balance.
- If the transaction is not completed by the merchant, the merchant will generally release the pre-authorization hold within 4 days and the funds will be available on your card without further action.
- Pre-authorization holds may be up to 30 days when used with travel related merchants including car rentals, hotels, and cruises.
- Funds are unavailable during pre-authorization hold periods and release of these holds are controlled by the merchant.